
When I was a child it was my favorite holiday and it was so magical and full of memories. I love the music, the lights, the decorations and all the goodies. Reading the story of Christ's birth and then acting it out. The stockings and all the fun stuff inside them. The wrapping late at night with my Mom on Christmas Eve and delivering goodies to friends. The fire in the fire place. I found out when I was a teenager my Dad hated Christmas and I didn't understand why, but I do now.
I didn't realize that it took so much money to make it so magical. We choose to have a big family because we feel that Heavenly Father wants these children to come to a good home. So we don't have the extras. We have good friends who have given us some nice things and our children who have bought cool electronic toys for their brothers and sisters. We always struggle to make a living and Steve works really hard to make things better for us constantly. When Christmas comes along I think he feels more of a failure because we can't give enough & sometimes not at all. Our older children pitch in and give of their money and get very little if anything. I feel like a failure because I didn't want my children to hate Christmas or resent what it has become. I tried to make it fun and beautiful and put a lot of effort in talking and getting them to think of the true meaning of Christmas of our Saviors birth. That isn't good enough when they go to school or church and they talk about what they got and what you didn't get.
I was really sad when I read my daughters blog, not because she was trying to hurt me, but because I really tried so hard to not have this happen. The funny thing is someday she will be able to give her children the Christmas I would have wanted to give to her. It may not be while they are small though and they will have worked and sacrificed for it just like we have.
I'm sad because I'm sure all of my children have these same feelings. What is the solution? I still love the music and just being together with the kids and having our big breakfast together. I loved when Steve took the kids last year and picked a snowball fight with the Nelsons at 11:00pm on Christmas Eve and built a huge snowman in the middle of the road. I loved that all of my kids where together.
People go into debt to make Christmas magical, only to feel awful about it later. Then others are blessed and have plenty . I love Thanksgiving so much because it is all about just being together and having a nice meal. Don't get me wrong I love this season, I just hate that my children are so disappointed and really would rather not have a large family of their own because they can't make them happy materially, which in reality, doesn't make you happy. I ask again how do you make this a wonderful holiday for your children and keep it Christ centered?
1 comment:
Kim, you have the most amazing family and just the love you all have for each other should be enough! I've noticed that when you focus more on the needs of others and serving them, Christmas is more Christ-centered. I've also realized that when the gifts we give are more personal, they are more meaningful! I know the young ones may not understand or realize that as much, but through example and having them be a part of it makes such a difference. Your not a failure at making Christmas magical. Our Savior would want us teaching our children the true meaning of Christmas and I promise you, that is what they'll remember the most years later!!!! Your awesome and I love you!
Post a Comment